CURSED by Jennifer Armentrout


"He liked me— really liked me. Even after seeing my scars. It was like hitting the jackpot of awesome guys."



Dying sucks
...and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. 

After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?

But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life.

For real this time



So, I'm a big fan of Armentrout ever since I had read the Covenant Series and Lux Series. She has been my favorite paranormal supernatural writer... That's something because I'm not really a big fan of fantasy or anything magical. So yeah, I found out another novel she has written and that is Cursed.

After reading the synopsis, it definitely perked my interest. The death touch thingy of the protagonist is so similar to Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi but different in terms of the settings and conflicts.

What do I think of the characters? Hmm... Ember. I think I got used to Armentrout's strong and witty heroines so I was kind of baffled by the heroine in this book. Man, I do believe that having the death's touch sucks bad because one thing we need are another person's warmth. It's bad enough that you are physically isolated but emotionally? Well.. That's pretty depressing. Ember is pretty amazing. Surviving on her own and raising her little sister and wiped out mother was pretty amazing but wallowing on your own pity party and creating this coping mechanism where you believe that you can never change anything so there's no point in doing anything kind of blows out the amazing part of hers. Yeah, I know this kind of is part of the plot but I just had this need to point it out because her believing in herself took too long to happen. Like it happened it the 3/4 of the book. Well.. So yeah.

Hayden. Another cool and devastatingly handsome hero. Man, I would kill to become a heroine one day just give me Choi Seunghyun of Big Bang as my man. So this man confused me like hell, he was like ice and fire. He will be like 'I can't help touching you' to 'I need to stay away.' kind. Well, that was awesome because it adds to the drama. I always love a slice of pain to the heroine! Haha. They need to work hard for a handsome almost perfect man, you know. Uhmm. I'm confused of his abilities sometimes and his moods are hard to follow. But I do like it when he was damn playful. That was entertaining.

I am also a bit confused whether who it to trust is. Ember was a little paranoid about the whole thing so I was affected. Like should we trust Hayden's family or not? Or are they really behind everything? Or is Ember just whacked up because of everything? Yep... I will go with trusting Hayden's family.

Anyway.

The setting. It's cute that Armentrout's setting always seems to be in an isolated area. Understandable because abnormal people won't really fit in populated areas. So I'm cool with the settings.

Conflicts. I think the conflicts are pretty tolerable. Just fine for a novel.

Writing style and flow. Well, I always will love Armentrout's style and the way she delivers her story.

I actually was very thrilled by the ending. Starting from Ember sneaking up into Cromwell’s office. It all makes sense now! Ember's conviction and paranoia! Damn. I always known something was wrong with Theo. Anyway!

I love the way it had ended. It was so sweet.

I like everything about this book. It isn't force. It felt so natural. As if sharing a true love story between two people and I like that. Despite the unnatural abilities the scenes were very mundane. It was so cool.

I always will love the way Armentrout writes. This was one fascinating book.

So overall, Cursed was a good pass time. I like the conflicts, the emotions, the predictability, and unpredictability of events. Cursed is plain compared to the other works of Armentrout but entertaining enough compared to other paranormal novels.

It was a fun read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INDIGO SPELL by Richelle Mead

THE GOLDEN LILY by Richelle Mead

LEO by Mia Sheridan