PERFECT CHEMISTY by Simone Elkeles

 
 
 
“Gettin' near the fire doesn't necessarily mean you'll get burned.”
 
 
A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created 'perfect' life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for: her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect.
Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.
In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart
 
 
 
First of all. I really love the synopsis. It was the kind teenagers would like to read. A chic-flick kind, right? What I did not like initially was the diversion of whites and Mexicans. Could the writer like just grouped it without including the race and all... It was kinda awkward to read but meh I got through it. The other reason was Mexicans kina freaks me out. I perceived them as people who are full of emotions, hand-gestures, and passion, like those Mexicans series full of sexual and intimate scenes... yeah, kinda not liking it... and well it also made me think of those hot chili sauce commercials. So when I was reading the initial chapters I kinda have this image of this Mexicans with long mustache screaming mamacita, este etc etc. Anyway, you get my point. It took long for me to mold an image of Alex as someone as hot as Ian Somerhalder. Hohohoh. Anyway, I went passed that.
 
 
 
The book is cute. I think it is sweet in a way and tragic in a not too morbid kind. I felt elated at some point but some it just felt normal. I mean there were points in this novel whereas you have to feel a certain emotion, I did feel it but not too strong. In other words, the book was good but it wasn't able to elicit strong emotions from me. It was a so-so emotions. I did like some of the scenes and the interesting interactions the two characters have but it lacks in the sense of drama. It has this thing that makes you want to cry but you won't. You will just have this "awww." feeling of sympathy for the characters.
 
 
 
Brittany. I like this girl's personality except the plastic thingy of course. Thumbs up for you.
 
 
Alex. Dude, I like you but not so much sympathy for you. Just a few bits a comfort comfort but still I give you a salute for how you handled your life.
 
 
 
I was kinda expecting or hoping a much more intimate and emotional scene during their first time, knowing that Brittany is a virgin and Alex thought she ain't Kinda like "No way!" or a kiss so dramatic it could touch your heart. But all i got was "I'm a virgin. I'm nervous I'll make mistakes'" bleh --- "no worries." MEh! Anyway.
 
 
 
I do give credits for the other scenarios. It was good enough but like I said it just does not go through you, like leave an impact and shits like that.
 
 
 
Still. If you want to read books when you have nothing to do and is craving for a chick-flick hero-heroine I'll save you from a miserable life and you and me against the world type of books. You may read this.
 
 
 
I do like the ending tho.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INDIGO SPELL by Richelle Mead

THE GOLDEN LILY by Richelle Mead

LEO by Mia Sheridan