FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green



“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” 

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.



I have a lot of things I need to say about the book but I think it would be truly much a cliche. Anyway, I think Green has a very crazy genius kind of brain since his perspective are very much different from the common people but maybe that's his perk in being an author. He's really good. I did like the book very much. I learned a lot. I could also find myself in the same situation as Hazel's parents since my father is diagnosed of something like a terminal stage of renal disease or something but my father is like Caroline.

It was amazing to read such kind of book that is truly inspiring. 

I got a lot in my mind but thing is... You should read it because words are not enough to explain this Obra Maestra. Maybe I'm like Augustus, My ideas are stars but I can never form a proper constellation since my mind's pretty much obsolete. 

This is the first book of Green I read and there are some parts that bored me, some made me laugh, and others made me cry. All the concepts was in balance. The humor, romance, life lessons, drama, familial issues, etc. Every issues were properly presented in this book that maybe is why it has been Green's best.

It would be hypocrite of me if I say the book made me cry a river because it didn't. It touched my heart really. I just don't want to cry because I know that's not the point of Mr. Green... i think that is pretty much obvious in the ending... He didn't kill the character of Hazel so I think there is this metaphorical reasoning behind it. like CRYING is not the point. "I want to inspire! or something in that level... =))


Hooray for the quotable dialogues!


“You are so busy being YOU that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.”


“The world is not a wish-granting factory.” 



“Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you.”


“Books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”


“The marks humans leave are too often scars.”


“The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with. It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we'd done were less real and important than they had been hours before."


“But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.”


“You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories, and we made the funny choice.”

“The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention.”


I really like Augustus motto "I'm riding a roller coaster that only goes up."


and of course the last part... it goes like this:


"YOU DON'T GET TO CHOOSE IF YOU GET HURT IN THIS WORLD, BUT YOU DO HAVE SOME SAY WHO HURTS YOU."


A MUST-READ OBRA MAESTRA ^____________^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INDIGO SPELL by Richelle Mead

THE GOLDEN LILY by Richelle Mead

LEO by Mia Sheridan